I have a ton of work I should be doing right now but I am completely distracted by my love for this show and the utter shock I am in over how amazing it was. Everyone, and I mean everyone, who saw it had nothing but the best things to say about it. There was laughter. There were tears. There were dance parties. (Mostly to Lady Gaga, Single Ladies, and 80's metal.)
I cannot get over how lucky I am to have been a part of this experience, to get to work with Colleen, who is one of the smartest and most talented people I know of any age. If I can accomplish half of what she has done, I will be thrilled. She is so kind, sensitive, attentive, articulate... I could compliment her for ages. I would not want to SM for anyone else. (And I have every intention of SMing for her next semester.)
Our cast, Molly and Will, who love each other very much, have been so generous with their ideas, their time, their commitment. The dedication they have to each other and this piece has been unbelievable. I have never seen two actors work so closely and so much to support each other and the piece. It's truly inspiring. I don't think I've told them that enough.
The crew, three Playwrights and two Adler ladies, were also some of the hardest working most enthusiastic people I have encountered in my weeks of tech here. They never complained, they did so many things without my asking, they tried to be busy and helpful as much as possible, they were eager to learn, they tried things they didn't want to do, and they were the most efficient group of people I've ever seen working an NYU show. Our show ends at 7:30 every night, and yesterday we struck in time for me to see a friend in a show at 8 at Playwrights. They were such a gift to an already blessed week.
Thanks to the timing of our show loading in right after Thanksgiving, our designers all wanted to get things taken care of before the break, and so we knew exactly what was happening with all of our design elements a week before the show loaded in. It was glorious. Our only moment of worry was when the fabric that was the primary element of our set did not arrive on time, but our genius set designer figured out how we could prepare for it when it did arrive, the day after load in. We lost no time due to a UPS/NYU housing issue but worked around it seamlessly.
We've set incredibly high standards for future productions in the Studio Theatre. And I couldn't possibly under any circumstances be happier with the way this week has gone. Not only was it one of the least stressful tech weeks ever, this was in fact one of the least stressful weeks of my semester. Due to the lucky fortune of our show having the space to itself (when it was supposed to be sharing with two others), we got out of tech incredibly early every night. I got sleep. I got homework done. I had a good time with my life. This week has been a party. And that party resulted in a really beautiful piece of theatre. And I got to watch the whole thing come to life, and see every performance. I couldn't be more grateful and full of love for these people I worked with. I'm absolutely devastated that it's over. But I wouldn't trade it in for anything in the world.
"When you die, you die forever!" Viva la Nat Fan club.

No comments:
Post a Comment