Monday, October 11, 2010

Oh, A Truth.

I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge this afternoon, from Brooklyn Heights to Chinatown. I think, in all the times I've walked the bridge, this was the first time I was alone. It's something I usually do with people about whom I care a lot. Today was a glorious day, not too hot or cold beneath a cloudless sky. But it was odd to be alone, watching all the couples and families pausing for the token photograph of hair blowing in the wind over the East River, the Statue of Liberty or the Manhattan Bridge in the background. I took my time, I took some artsy photos, because that's what I do when I walk places, I document architecture that will continue to befriend me when no one else is around.

I'm going out tonight with specific intentions. I am aware of trying to be something, and I don't like trying to be something but I guess that's what we all do, all the time.

Yesterday I watched Finding Neverland with one of my best friends for the first time since I think before I started college. That movie is so beautiful, but I never really thought about just how well done it is. It's incredibly artful, and it always makes me cry. And it did, and last night I felt particularly lonely, even while sitting with my best friend, because I felt the people who were missing. I've been having trouble shaking that lonely feeling, so now I'm going out to surround myself with a bunch of people, most of whom I probably barely know and a few I know a little better.

I thought I posted this before I left. I guess not.

No comments: