Friday, February 26, 2010

And It's Continuing to Snow




NYU called snow day part II today. When I woke up this morning, it was still snowing as hard as it had been since yesterday morning. I think it's finally stopped now, but it snowed for over 36 hours straight I think. We got over a foot of snow.

Despite intense wind and slush, it's been a rather glorious day. I ended up spending the majority of it by myself, which wasn't what I had wanted at all, but a series of what seemed like unfortunate events turned out pretty well.

I attempted to take something to the bursar today, but of course the office was closed because the entire university was closed. So after that failed, I walked through Washington Square Park for a while and watched people walk dogs and build snowmen and have snowball fights in the fountain.

I walked up Broadway to Union Square Park (more snowmen and snowball fights, though not in a fountain), and finally reached my room after about an hour of walking in the windy snowy city with a heavy backpack. I moped around by myself for a little bit, and then decided since my room was empty that I would indulge in a bath with hot coffee, classical music, a candle, and Chekhov.

After a botched attempt at meeting up with people at Central Park, I figured as long as I was up there, I would walk around. I ended up walking for two hours and over two miles snapping pictures of everything... Snow, ducks, trees, statues.
For a good half an hour I was utterly lost in silence - I saw nor heard any people, I couldn't see buildings or hear cars. I was transported to somewhere in the middle of Manhattan that was not in New York City at all. I walked from the Shakespeare statue up the mall to Bethesda fountain, to Belvedere Castle. Everything was so beautiful. I was grateful by the time by myself, for a quiet, meditative walk, and so thankful for such a creation so close to where I live, in a city I love so much, but not like the city at all.





So I ended up being alone in the best possible way. And when are you ever alone in this city? That just doesn't happen. But it did, and it was beautiful. Thanks for the snow day, God.

No comments: