Friday, June 18, 2010

And I Have Found What I'm Looking For

It's been over two weeks since my last post, but I have been a busy lady. I have spent a lot of time helping a friend with her photography business (I'm sort of the administrator now), but most of my time has been spent poring over plays voraciously trying to decide what to direct in the fall at Playwrights. My proposals aren't due until July 1st, but my local library is closing for 2 weeks after tomorrow, making it much more difficult to access excessive amounts of dramatic literature. For weeks now my desk has been crowded with numerous stacks of plays, collections of Greek works, skinny modern dramas or pairs of Pinter plays, huge, hardcover copies of the collected works of Shaffer, Wilder, and Williams, and a deteriorating copy of "The Noh Drama" which looks like it hasn't been off the shelf in decades.

I wasn't necessarily planning on making my decisions before my library closed, but I figured it would be useful to already have a substantial list of potential by then. Tonight, however, I think I finally struck the play I wanted. It's a little Tennessee Williams play, at times humorous, at times lyrical, fiery and human. I'm really excited about it, and I haven't really felt that way about other plays I've read. There's a couple I got some ideas for as I was reading that I liked and will probably end up proposing as my second and third choices. I've come a long way from my first weeks of reading solely Greek works to yesterday when I read 10 Thornton Wilder plays after several days of skimming morality plays, Gertrude Stein, Harold Pinter, and countless others.

I'm very much looking forward to a break from the work (though I took one for a few days because my brain was starting to hate everything it read) - I've been sharing my leisure reading time with speed dating playwrights, but I'm ready to dive into Harry Potter again. It's been a year and a half since my last series read-through, and as my books live at home during the school year, I've got to get through them this summer before the first half of 7 comes out in film form in November. (5 months from tomorrow!) Also, Augustine and I have been on a break for far too long. He and I have some catching up to do.

Chicagoland experienced one hell of a storm today. It's been raining at some point of almost every day for the last 3 or so weeks, leaving it humid and gross outside after 9 am regardless of the temperature. Now, as it's getting dark, the skies have cleared a little and it looks magical outside.

There will be need soon for a post about ideal/theoretical love vs. living love and how that has suddenly explained to me, at 20, why Harry Potter has mattered to me so much over the last 12 years. I'm not particularly inclined to wax philosophical at the moment, however. I'm just going to shake hands with Mr. Williams and then catch up with an old friend with a scar on his forehead.

No comments: