I went to the beach this morning with my family to watch the sun rise. I think this is the first time in all the years we've gone to the beach in the morning that we've actually made it before the sun was past the horizon. It's kind of crazy how fast it pops above the ocean and then peeks in and out of clouds.
The sun reflected off the water, onto the sand and the faces of my family and me. It's amazing how solitary it can feel even with other people when you stand at the edge of the ocean, the shores of the world I know. God smiled through the clouds, waved with the water, and hid in the sand between my toes.
We wrote "Bye 2010" in the sand and watched it get washed away by waves as the sun continued to creep higher in the sky. The last morning of 2010 dawned peacefully, but I'm sure we'll go out with a bang. This will be my first New Year's on the East Coast. I think all others have been spent on central time, though in a few different states, with the possible exception of Arizona when I was twelve. It's exciting to me to hit New Year's at the same time as the ball drop in NYC, not to watch it at 11 pm in my house and then watch the slightly-less-climactic Chicago midnight.
Today I remember all that has passed in the last year. I remember particularly this time last year, and am trying to appreciate how today can be joyous in a completely different way. No one will kiss me and whisper 'I love you' at midnight, and I miss that, but I have my family, and much more for which to be grateful. My life is blessed with many friends and adventures, and so much love.
Happy new year, everybody.
Friday, December 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment