Wednesday, December 8, 2010

With One Mind, One Body, One Spirit

Revelations that occurred during voice and speech this morning, written down stream of consciousness style and copied here for your enjoyment and potential brain explosion.


Theatre is work in loving service to an audience - to humanity, created by God. The Greeks were trying to do just that. Share themselves, the human condition, with the rest of their world. Stretching your gift and the art that is serving you to serve others. We make art for others - work hard and then give it to them. The Greeks believe you are not your work but a vessel for it. You can let it go because you never possessed it. And yet it is always within you. The minute you become aware of you, you have a responsibility to it. Theatre/the arts is a gift of communication from God through artists to humanity. Theatre is, in performance, an act of communion. A holy moment of shared connection. Understanding at the deepest human level is actually the highest place of creation. Everything is infinite and never perfect, always shifting, there is no destination. We are in a moment. Everything passes through the body. That is our instrument.  Our instrument for expression, sharing, praying. Things show up on the body because the body can't lie. It tells the truth all the time. Every part of the body is informed. The artist creates from love - a giving and sharing of love. It is all language, whether or not you are speaking. Everything communicates and that's why you have to direct the doorknob. Or maybe why the Greeks didn't really use sets.

It's all connected. All a cycle. It's all about a shared experience and love.

When you don't have text, the performer has to just be the story. So why not be the story with your whole being even with the text?


All this lead to a discovery of exactly what I want my project to be next semester, and now I just have to find the play that has the story to go with it. The story that tells my story. They're all the same story. It's all one. (This is why I should really be doing The Serpent, but that will have its moment, outside of school, when I really can tackle working with about 20 actors.)

Then Colleen mentioned unity and I thought about it in a religious sense and went, "Oh DUH, I'm a UNITARIAN."

Okay great. And now Hedwig makes even more sense and why I love that play makes even more sense. And really, I'd just like to direct Plato's Symposium which is not a play.

No comments: