Eskimos have a lot of words for snow.
I think if we made up a language, Playwrights kids would have a lot of words for sleep deprivation, while rest/sleep/nap etc. would all be one word. Design and collaboration would probably also have several words. There would be a word for that feeling you get when you're still up working on your (as an example) design homework at 3 am and have rehearsal for your directing scene at 8:30.
Language is a curious thing. I've been thinking a lot about Judith Butler and theories of the construction of gender and how our language has forced it into a coded binary that doesn't effectively describe our reality. What is reality beyond language? Performance beyond language? Oh wait, I wrote a sermon about this... it's religion, and it's theatre, and they're quite alike.
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment